1. Recurring intrusive and persisting disturbing thoughts that cause anxiety and distress
2. The thoughts are unrelated to actual events
3. You try to stop the thoughts with another thought or action
4. You are aware that the thoughts are untrue and from your own mind
5. Repetitive meaningless behaviors (hand washing, ordering, checking)
or thought rituals (praying, counting, repetitions) that you must do to
neutralize the unwanted disturbing thoughts
6. The thoughts and resulting actions are time consuming, disruptive and
embarrassing, but you have no control over them
The information contained in this post is for educational purposes only and does not replace the medical evaluation of a physician.
Contact a counsellor today.
Taken from the book Emotionally Free, Chapter 12.by Grant Mullen M.D.